Best of the Bunch
2001 E Awards winners share one thing in common – they're ordinary people making extraordinary commitments to their workplaces
by Elaine Davidson
Alberta Venture magazine is committed to supporting the business community through recognition of its most outstanding members. That’s why we created the E Awards for Alberta’s most enterprising employees.
Now in their fifth year, the E Awards acknowledge that the commitment and effort of excellent employees is critical to business success. On behalf of the E Awards sponsors, BDO Dunwoody LLP Chartered Accountants and Consultants, Intuit Canada, Ledcor, Syncrude and TransAlta, Alberta Venture congratulates all of the nominees and salutes the progressive organizations that brought their names forward.
E Awards 2001 Finalists:
Business Results: The Bottom Line
For extraordinary efforts to impact the bottom line, either by reducing costs or by increasing revenues.
• Phillip Jacobsen, Eleven Engineering Inc.
• Dean Kanuit, The Glencoe Club
• RJ (Jeff) Nicholls, TELUS
Business Results: Quality Enhancement
For effective contribution to improving the company’s product or process.
• Curtis Craig, The Workers’ Compensation Board – Alberta
• Kevin Hakl, Malibu Engineering & Software
• Marianne Stewart, Capital Health
For demonstrating involvement with and concern for the larger community through volunteer activites
• Amanda Affonso, TransAlta
• Steve Glover, Institute of Chartered Accountants of Alberta
• Brenda Roy, PCL Construction Management Inc.
For demonstrating involvement with and concern for the larger community through volunteer activities
* Kathleen Holderbein, Wainwright Credit Union Ltd.
• Rick Polsom, Magna IV Engineering (Calgary) Ltd.
• Darren Radbourne, Daryl Procinsky Architecture Ltd.
Customer Service — External
For extending outstanding service outside the company.
• Mike Ball, TELUS
• BioWare Customer Service Team: Derek French, David Gaider, David McGruther, Andrew Nobbs, and Nathan Plewes, BioWare Corp.
• Eva Stang, NAIT
Customer Service- Internal
For exemplifying outstanding service within the workplace.
• Wendy Dypolt, The Glencoe Club
• Darryl Smith, PCL Constructors Inc.
• TransAlta Communications Team: Lisa Frizzell, Shamim Kassam, Jennifer MacGowan, Cheryl McNeil, Tim Richter, Karen Shumann, Joanna Suehwold, Joel Thompson, Sue Tomney, Tamera Van Brunt, and Nadine Walz, TransAlta
Quality of Working Life
For enhancing the company’s pursuit of safety, teammanship, leadership and cultural health.
• James Barry, PCL Construction Management Inc.
• Ryan Long, APD Engineering and Construction
• Julianna Haave, g2 marketing inc.
Exemplary Young Employee
Recognizing the role of employees of less than 25 years of age in developing their workplace, the Exemplary Young Employee will have contributed to his or her organization with enthusiasm, freshness of approach, energy, maturity, dedication and boundless courage.
• Ryan Mah, Collaborative Learning Network Inc.
• Bryan Smith, Incite Solutions
• Jennifer Steinhauer, Edmonton Chamber of Commerce